Strength in Diversity: A Positive Approach to Teaching Dual-Language Learners in Early Childhood
In the United States, the number of children who come from homes where they speak languages other than English is rising. Despite the common misperception that dual language learners are slower learners or have special needs, research shows that they have better executive function and cognitive skills. Their brains are doing double duty!
Strength in Diversity: A Positive Approach to Teaching Dual Language Learners in Early Childhood offers teachers context, practical advice, and strategies to help young dual language learners thrive. Teaching dual language learners isn’t just about classroom methods. It’s about empathy, perspective, patience, and high expectations.
- Who young dual language learners are
- The basics of second-language acquisition
- Effective teaching strategies and principles of instruction
- How to honor a home language as you support English learning
- Ways to engage the families of dual language learners
Paperback, 112 pages