Infant/Toddler Environment Rating Scale® Third Edition - ITERS-3
Building on extensive feedback from the field as well as vigorous new research on how best to support infant and toddler development and learning, the authors have revised and updated the widely used Infant/Toddler Environment Rating Scale. ITERS-3 is the next-generation assessment tool for use in center-based child care programs for infants and toddlers up to 36 months of age.
ITERS-3 focuses on the full range of needs of infants and toddlers and provides a framework for improving program quality. Further, the scale assesses both environmental provisions and teacher-child interactions that affect the broad developmental milestones of infants and toddlers, including: language, cognitive, social-emotional and physical development, as well as concern for health and safety.
ITERS-3 is appropriate for state- and district-wide QRIS and continuous quality improvement; program evaluation by directors and supervisors; teacher self-evaluation; monitoring by agency staff; and teacher training programs. The established reliability and validity of the scale make it particularly useful for research and program evaluation.
While the approach to assessing quality and the scoring process remain the same for the new ITERS-3, users will find the following improvements informed by extensive use of the ITERS in the field and by the most recent research:
- Enhanced focus on interactions and the role of the teacher.
- Six new language and literacy Items.
- A new Item on beginning math experiences.
- Expanded age range to include children from birth to 36 months.
- A new approach to scoring based solely on observation of ongoing classroom activity (3-hour time sample).
- The elimination of the parents/staff subscale and teacher interviews, freeing up time for observing more actual classroom practice.
- Improved indicator scaling, providing more precise and useful scores for use in professional development and self-improvement.
- Reduced emphasis on the number of materials, along with greater emphasis on how materials are used to encourage learning.
Suitable for use in inclusive and culturally diverse programs, ITERS-3 subscales evaluate:
- Space and Furnishings
- Personal Care Routines
- Language and Books
- Program Structure